Eagle Animal Hospital wishes everyone a spooktacular Halloween. Have fun dressing up and collecting as much candy as possible, but keep in mind the potential hazards that our sweets can have on our canine and feline friends.
Chocolate is one of the number of toxicities in animals. Although most of the milk chocolate candies will not cause major concerns, large quantities of milk chocolate or smaller quantities of dark chocolates can result in vomiting and diarrhea. Chocolate can also cause fatal heart abnormalities and hyper excitability if ingested in large quantities.
Xylitol is a product found in many sugar free candies, especially gum. So, if you find sugarless gum in your candy bag, keep it away from your pets. Even in small quantities this product can cause fatal liver disease and severely lower blood sugars in animals. It is safe for humans so chew away!
Foreign bodies are another risk when it comes to Halloween goodness. Foil wrappers and small plastic spiders, bugs, and decorative ghoulies can result in an intestinal blockage in your furry friends. Throw away candy wrappers in a trash can where your pet can not reach them and keep your scary décor out of reach.
Enjoy the horrors of Halloween, but avoid the horrors of an emergency vet visit by keeping your candy and Halloween goodies safely secured away from your pets.
Written by David Matunis, VMD