Anaphylactic shock (anaphylaxis) also called, hypersensitivity reaction in an acute allergic reaction that causes particular symptoms that should be treated by a veterinarian as soon as possible. An anaphylactic reaction can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as, severe food allergies, bug bites, medication, and vaccines.
Certain insects that are commonly found around your home can cause your pet to have an allergic reaction, such as, spiders, ants, centipedes, wasps, and bees, such as, yellow jackets.
Dogs, just like people, can have an allergic reaction to medication. If a reaction occurs with a particular medication, our doctors will have you discontinue that drug and prescribe another medication.
On occasion, vaccines may cause your pet to have an adverse reaction. Cats are less likely than dogs to have vaccine reactions. Older dogs that have had all of their vaccine without a reaction in the past will most likely never develop a reaction to those vaccines in the future. On the other hand, puppies receiving a vaccine for the first or second time can have a reaction to that same vaccine in the future. To prevent future reactions, the Eagle Animal Hospital staff will give an appropriate dose of an antihistamine and sometimes a steroid prior to giving your pet that particular vaccine.
Symptoms to be aware of are as follows: pain, itching, swelling especially of the face and neck, hives all over, diarrhea, vomiting, salivation, lethargy, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, if left untreated, coma and death may be an unwanted outcome. Similarly to people, acute anaphylaxis, should be treated as a medical emergency.
Dogs can be treated by using injectable antihistamines and steroids. Severe cases may need to be hospitalized and monitored.
Please call Eagle Animal Hospital with any questions or concerns. We serve Chester Springs, Downingtown, Exton, Glenmoore, and surrounding areas.
Written by Jennifer Styer, technician