Cleaning up vomit is a fact of life if you're lucky enough to have a dog in your life. Although all dogs vomit from time to time, it's important to distinguish between simple upset stomachs and mo ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Did you know?
Did you know that chewing gum is toxic for pets? Xylitol, a commonly used sugar substitute, is found in sugar-free gum, candies, and toothpaste. Ingestion of Xylitol can cause low blood sugar. This in turn may cause vomiting, weakness, depression, decreased potassium, seizures and liver dysfunction and/or failure.
Did you know that temperatures in a car can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes, even if you are parked in the shade? This can mean real trouble for you pets that are left in the car for even a little while. Dogs and cats do not perspire and can only dispel heat by panting and through the pads of their feet. Pets who are left in the hot cars, however briefly, can suffer from heat exhaustion, heat stroke, brain damage, and can cause death.
Did you know that some mulch contains chocolate? Dogs consuming cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer may become ill, exhibiting signs consistent with chocolate poisoning. Common signs that occur following ingestion are vomiting and muscle tremors. Increased amounts ingested can have a greater severity.
Did you know that lilies are toxic to your cat? Lilies are highly toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. Since all parts of the plant are concidered poisonious please, keep these plants out of reach of your cats. The list includes Easter Lily, Tiger Lily, Rubrum Lily, Japanese Show Lily, and Day Lily. Cats may vomit, lose appetite or become lethargic. For more plant information visit http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/index.html
Did you know that cats can hear better than dogs? We all know that dogs can hear better than humans but many of us don't know that cats can hear a wider range of sound then dogs. The pitch of sound is measured in Hertz (Hz). Humans hear between 64 Hz - 23000 Hz, dogs are at 67 Hz - 45000 Hz and cats 20 Hz - 64000 Hz. This may explain why your dog or cat is scared of things like thunder and fireworks.
Did you know that grapes and raisins are toxic to your pet? Many owners might think that raisins and grapes are a healthy snack alternative for their dog but unfortunately, dogs can have a dangerous reaction to them. At this time the actual toxin to cause the reaction is unknown but researchers are still looking into the possibilities.Within the first 24 hours you may see vomiting, hyperactive behavior, and diarrhea. After 24 hours, your dog may loose their appetite, become lethargic or depressed. Kidney failure can often be the the final outcome.
Did you know that the macadamia nut is toxic to dogs? Like grapes and raisins the cause is unknown and the individual sensitivity can vary between dogs. Clinical signs usually develop within 12 hours after ingestion, that is why early veterinary care is important. The most common is weakness and inability to walk, especially in the hind legs. You may also see vomiting, staggering, depression, tremors and increased body temperature.